This is always a good one to get some strong opinions!
- Do you have the death penalty in your country?
- If not, when was it abolished?
- What other serious forms of punishment do you have? E.g. Whole life tariff.
- Have you ever heard of a case where somebody was executed but then exonerated?
- Do you agree with the death penalty?
As always, split your class into teams, either with their natural opinions or a side that you give them. If it’s a high level class, try to see how a debate develops without any prompts. If they’re not very chatty or need a little push, have a look at the ideas below!
Good Vocab to Teach
- Capital / Corporal punishment
- ‘An eye for an eye’
- Life imprisonment
- Death row
- If you want more of an open conversation lesson, try using some of the questions in the post here – Conversation Questions – Crime